Deconstructed Drinks is reader-supported. When you buy through links on this site, I may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.
When everything seems to be going wrong - problems pile on top of problems, and that 'glass-half-empty' feeling starts taking over—a high proof cocktail can provide solace.
This cocktail is strong, dangerous, but yet somehow, comforting. And this is exactly what we need sometimes.
Using High Proof Tequila
Using a high quality tequila is essential. I'm not talking about the most expensive, I'm talking of something artisanal—with no additives.
In this Old Fashioned variation, the tequila remains the star of the show.
It's a great opportunity to source a bottle of Tapatio 110. It's one of the best tequila blancos out there that achieves a balance of high proof and distinct flavors.
Sidenote: 110 proof means this liquor is 55% alcohol by volume.
The agave, orange bitters and lime are there to accessorize and complete the look.
- Add clear ice rock into rocks glass. Stir for 10 seconds to "cool down". This prevents it from cracking when you add liquid.
- In a mixing glass, add tequila, agave, and bitters.
- Add ice.
- Stir for 15 seconds. When using high proof spirits, you want to dilute a little more than usual.
- Strain any water from the rocks glass in case the ice has melted a bit.
- Strain cocktail into your glass.
- Garnish with lime wheel.